Summer means corns! Lots and lots of corns. And I love corns. My beloved mother used to make this meal together with spinach soup. The soup has clear broth and it tastes fresh and light. She gave me the recipe which is family recipe and I have tried to make it. But my fritters were always crumble whenever I fried them. Then I saw Jamie Oliver’s cooking show and was inspired to perfected my mother’s recipe to make corn fritters.
In Indonesia we call the corn fritters “BAKWAN” (read: buck-wand). Every family has their own style of corn fritters. Sometimes people add prawns to the batter when it was fried on the frying pan. One prawn for one fritter. My family love them spicy. That’s how I made the corn fritters today, spicy too. The good thing is these fritters are 100% vegan and vegetarian friendly for those of you who are vegan or vegetarian. They are very good for snacking and also for big meals.
CORN FRITTERS RECIPE
WHAT YOU NEED:
– 6 – 7 ears of young and sweet corns
– 3 small red chilies or red pepper flakes
– 2 cloves of garlic
– flour (about 1/4 cup)
– chopped parsley or parsley flakes
– salt & pepper
– cooking oil
– (cutcherry or Kaempferia galanga or kencur powder) – additional
1. Grate the corn kernels into large bowl.
2. Put the kernels together with garlic and the red small chillies into a blender or food processor. Choose ‘chop’ mode (NEVER choose blend or puree) and operate it for about 2 – 3 minutes.
3. Take the mix out and put it back into the bowl and add some flours. Stir the batter until all are mixed, sprinkle some parsleys and season with salt and pepper. (I add a pinch of cutcherry powder into the batter)
4. Prepare the cooking oil on a hot frying pan. Drop the batter with a table spoon sparingly. Don’t crowd the pan.
5. Take out the fritters as soon as both sides are golden brown.