It’s that time of year again when I have to rush in the morning preparing three kids who still want to sleep to go to school. Although this year is a little bit different. The kids’ first day of school got postponed because of tropical storm Irene. Since the school lost its electricity for days. It’s a surprise to think that my kids were devastated by the news. So when the first day came finally, they actually cheered. They even woke up without any trouble and happily prepared themselves. Wow, I was amazed!
Before the school started, there was the school orientation for parents to fill up forms (times 3 for me, ugh) and for the students to know which teachers and classrooms they’ll have. To appreciate and get to know the kids’ teachers, I made several notebooks for them. The notebooks were made out of used products: tissue boxes and groceries bags. You know there are lots of cute and charming tissue boxes with awesome motifs, so why not use them for your craft. From one grocery bag (such as from Whole Food), you can get 30 pieces of 8,5 x 11cm notes. On the first day school last Friday, my kids brought the notebooks and a bag of sweet treats to school to say hi to their new teachers.
What you need:
– used tissue boxes
– groceries bags/ brown bags
– color rubber bands
– buttons and alphabet charms
– paper flowers
– ink stamp and sponge make-up (optional)
– patterned & regular scissors
– hole punch
How to make:
1. Cut the front and back sides of the tissue box and then cut into half. Punch two holes on the top side. These will be the front and back cover of the notebook.
2. Cut the grocery bag into small pieces of 8,5 x 11cm. Punch two holes copying the notebook cover holes.
3. Pick two rubber bands (preferably different colors). Tie one rubber band into one hole, then tie another one for another hole. Tie the two rubber bands together like so.
4. Make the decoration for the front cover. Cut small piece from tissue box with patterned scissors and distressed it with ink stamp. Write down JUST A NOTE on the piece.
5. Adhere the sentiment on the front cover and decorate with paper flower and button (for female teacher) or button with alphabet charm (for male teacher).