In the spirit of the Earth Day, I created a hanging scrapbook box with recycle materials. The idea has been on my mind for a long time, but just recently that I created it waiting for the perfect moment. Our younger daughter’s birthday is approaching and I wanted to make her something special, not just a regular birthday card. I used the photo of her that I took last year on her birthday. She’s into Harry Potter story, so she put on the get-up pretending to be one of the accepted student of Hogwarts. I used a used-snack box for the main material and several pages from an old book. The base to place the photo is from a piece of cardboard. I also used some vintage buttons for decoration and a bird feather (that I found during my morning walk). I chose a vintage-look style to match the idea of the magic world of Harry Potter, with my daughter’s favorite colors in mind too.
- Used snack box (make sure it’s clean-no oily or sticky spot);
- Pages from an old book;
- A piece of cardboard;
- Some scrap papers;
- Vintage/old buttons;
- Hole paper punch;
- Ribbon or string;
- Some ink stamps;
- Other decorations (bird feather, paper flowers, piece of doily).
HOW TO MAKE IT:
- Prepare the snack box, cut off the small flaps at the opening.
- Adhere the old pages unto the box, layer by layer covering up the whole box (not the top part.
- Make two holes on the sides of the box, and insert the ribbon/string into the holes and make some knots.
- Crumple some old pages and stuff them into the box. Close the box and glue it. Cover the top part of the box with the old page.
- Color the covered-box with green ink stamp, dabbing it like so to create a vintage look.
- Prepare the used-cardboard piece by stripping one part of it. Color it with vintage photo ink stamp. Adhere the photo unto the cardboard piece.
- Decorate the box with vintage buttons, a bird feather, some paper flowers and the sentiment.
- Cut some paper scraps into 4 parts and cover all the box corners with them.
- Hang the scrapbook box in your favorite area of the wall. Make sure not to hang it near a damp area.